Providing confidential help and support to families affected by alcohol misuse
What is the Family Alcohol Service?
The Family Alcohol Service is managed by Motiv8 Addiction Services. It is a structured, solution focused and innovative programme of intervention and support that aims to:
- Prevent intergenerational alcohol misuse
- Reduce further harm and impact
- Build resilience within the family
Who is the service for?
The service is available to any family that is affected by alcohol misuse. Parents are offered individual support with a Motiv8 worker and so are the children. Feedback sessions, where appropriate, are then offered to improve communication and support.
Every family is assessed on an individual basis and children aged between 5-18 are offered support.
Parents, children and families can either self refer or be referred by other services or agencies that they are working with.
Engagement with the Family Alcohol Service is voluntary.
What work do you do with the children?
Play therapy skills are used to encourage children to open up and discuss their emotions at their own pace, whilst building a rapport with their counsellor.
Children will be able to engage in crafts, games and imaginative play in a comfortable and supportive environment.
Family Intervention and Support Programme
The programme is flexible and not time restricted. The programmes aim to:
- Allow the children to feel empowered and have a voice
- Enable parents to understand the impact of their alcohol misuse
- Encourages the family to make positive behaviour and lifestyle changes
- Builds resilience within all family members
The programme focuses on:
- Realistic goal setting
- Education and the impact of alcohol
- Staying safe
- Changing and adapting
- Understanding emotions
Where do you offer support?
Appointments are offered at our Douglas offices or at our satellite clinics where possible.
Children can be seen either in our dedicated play therapy area, in school or a mutually agreeable venue that the child is happy with.
Is it confidential?
The Family Alcohol Service is free, confidential and non-judgemental with appropriate liaison with key services involved with any families.
Comments from parents that have used this service
- “It’s been fantastic to talk to someone and I don’t feel judged”
- “I have learnt how to distract myself when I feel I need a drink and think about the consequences if I did drink”
- “Thanks for yesterday and all you have done for us so far. You have helped make a difference to our lives”
Comments from children that have used this service
- “It’s great”
- “It’s good because it helps children be happy”
- “When you talk about the problems in your life it feels like the weight of the world has been lifted off your shoulders”